Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Road Less Travelled

In my life I have seen the value of having passion for a job and how much it increases the your quality of life if you have a love for what you do. A job takes up such a substantial part of your life that if every morning your wake up dreading going to your job it makes being motivated for each day very tough. My Dad is someone who lacks a passion for his job and although he never complains about it, he has said many times that if he could do it all again he would not have taken the same path. His day to day life includes many sports and activity's to compensate for having a job he's not passionate about and the activities become his motivation for each day. But when a job takes such a significant amount of time out of your day it's a hard void to fill and he always seems very joyous towards the thought of retiring. As far a my career I want to pursue in my life I have been torn between 2 choices. I have had a passion for skiing my whole life as well as a passion for for the outdoors and this made me wanted to become a ski guide. When I investigated it further however I found job availability to be a major issue and no matter how many courses you take towards it, the chance of you getting a job is based on your connections. It is also very expensive to become certified and with the slim chance of getting a job right away the last thing I wanted was to end up living in my parents basement. For those reasons I decided to go with a job that's more secure, this being a mechanical engineer. From a very early age I was always taking things apart and I would always take thing apart to see what was inside and how it all worked. Still having this passion today I believe I will be satisfied with my career choice for years to come. It is also very expensive and is 4 years of university but the reward is most often getting a job straight away. Another advantage is it pay better than a ski instructor but this is at the cost of the adventure aspect. I have come to realize it is also a lot of work to get your diploma from watching my brother but I believe I want it bad enough to and put the effort in I will succeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment