Monday, February 28, 2011

A Good Thing Gone Bad

There was a time in my life, where Kraft Dinner was my reason for waking up in the morning but this all changed one faithful weekend. The weekend began with the excitement of getting a group of 9 teenagers, crammed into a tiny cabin, with no supervision, at the local ski hill. From our point of view it seemed like the perfect weekend, to others it would seem the recipe for disaster. As I packed for this most epic adventure I did so with mentality for a day of skiing, forgetting about the essentials. After I finished packing I got the phone call from my friend saying that he would be picking me up in 10 minutes, at the end of the conversation he said "oh yeah, what are you bringing for food", embarrassed about my ignorance about forgetting all about food I vaguely replied "I got a bunch of random stuff". I quickly raided the pantry grabbing all the instant meals, which included of course Kraft Dinner. After we had arrived at the small blue cabin we began unloading and as we all put our food supplies on the kitchen table I began to see a trend. I'm not sure if it was lack of imagination or simply it was all we knew how to make, but we accumulated a total of 18 boxes of the creamy cheese covered dinners and not much else. So for dinner we inevitably decided to make a quadruple batch and I greedily ate my share to the verge of being sick but still I couldn't wait till we made more. Luckily for me 6 hours later at approximately 3:00 am another quadruple batch was served, but it wasn't up to its full potential,which was most likely from the chef's lack of sleep. The noodles where slightly over cooked and the cheese mixture was not fully stirred resulting in the wet sticky balls glueing themselves to your teeth upon contact. The next morning we decided to start skiing late in order to do a clean up of the kitchen, which was a mess of orange paste and half cooked noodles plastered to everything. After a half hour of sweeping and scrubbing my love for the meal began to turn to hate and I was ecstatic when it was over. After we returned from skiing hungry and tired, I searched for something to eat other than K.D but all I came out with a granola bar; it did not suffice. Instead of walking all the way to a restaurant that was colossal 400 meters away I decided it would take less effort to make Kraft diner. This time was different though. As I carried out the repetitious task of cooking the noodles I did not look forward to eating them, instead I ate them only to fill the empty void in my stomach. Half way through the bowl I felt sweat begin to cascade down my face as if my body was pleading with me to stop eating but it efforts where futile. I even licked the bowl clean and truly began to feel disgusted with myself. It wasn't long after I drifted asleep as my body went about the task of digesting. The following morning I could'nt believe my nose as the smell of another batch being created filled the room, making me gag. I desperately searched for another food but found nothing. As I starred into the abyss of yellow slop, I truly feared for my life not knowing if my heart would be able to handle the further assault of trans-fat and cholesterol. Eating the thick mass seemed almost torturous and it took all my strength to keep it down, yet strangely I craved another bowl. Then it was time to do the final clean up, a task that drove me to make a vow not to eat it ever again and a task that task where indescribable pain was felt. Kraft dinner was my long time favorite foods for almost 17 years and in one weekend it became one that I absolutely loathe, for now.

1 comment:

  1. It's the cheese! They put something in the cheese powder to make you addicted. We are all victims.

    ReplyDelete